Search This Blog

Friday, April 14, 2017

"You Know Me!"


The older man was sitting in a chair when I walked into the exam room.  I had heard him coughing from outside, but when I walked in to the room, he lit up.  "I sure didn't think I would see you today," he said.  "I thought you was gone."

"No, not yet," I said.  "I hope it doesn't disappoint you that you aren't seeing someone else."

"Of course not," Paul answered quickly.  "You've been taking care of me for years.  I suppose you could probably fix me without my saying anything.  You just know me!"  He finished, as though that summed it all up.

As I sat down and started talking to him, I realized that he was exactly right.  I do know my patients.  I remember things from the past, both medical and non-medical.  That makes a huge difference.

When someone knows you, you don't have to explain yourself.  You don't have to tell the whole back story or narrate how you felt in the past, because they know.  They've been there with you before.

I think that is one of the most amazing things about prayer.  You are opening your heart to Someone who knows you. 

David said, in Psalm 139, "O Lord, you have searched me and known me!  You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar." 

You don't have to explain yourself when you are talking to God.  He knows where you are coming from and where you are headed.  He understands it all and more than that, He wants the best for you.

It is better, even than seeing a doctor you've known for sixteen years, to open your heart to One who knows and cares about you, who will never leave you or forsake you. 

In my darkest hours, He is the one I have always turned to and He has never let me down. 

He just knows me.

No comments:

Post a Comment