Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2016

A Worm Named Sherry


The rain was pelting down outside and for some reason or other, my children, Anna and Elliot insisted on being out in it.  Anna has always loved the rain, but Elliot had another interest.

A door slammed shut and Elliot came sprinting in, holding something in his hand.  "Dad," he said.  "I've got a new friend!  Her name is Sherry."  He lifted his hand so I could see more clearly.  "She's a worm," he said proudly.

Which is worse, a boy name Sue, or a worm named Sherry?

"Elliot," I said.  "You should take Sherry back outside.  Mom really doesn't want earth worms in the house."

"But Dad," he said.  "We have a lot in common.  She likes dirt and I like dirt too.  And I don't like getting wet and she doesn't either.  I'm going to keep her inside until it stops raining."

With that, he ran off to introduce Sherry to his mother.

I am not sure what inspired Elliot to show kindness to a worm.  Certainly he thought that they had some sort of commonality that wasn't as obvious to me as it was to him, but at the same time, he struggles to show kindness to his older brother and sister.

Sometimes, I guess, it is easier to get along with a worm that you don't really know, than with folks that you know really well.  I suppose that is why John had to tell the early church:  "And this commandment we have from Him:  whoever loves God must also love his brother."  (I John 4:21).

Whether or not it is a struggle at times, we are called to love the people closest to us.  It certainly won't always be easy, but to love our brothers and sisters is a true demonstration of Christian love.

Much more so than showing love to a worm named Sherry.

No comments:

Post a Comment