Search This Blog

Friday, April 29, 2016

A Few Cloves of Garlic


Last fall, around the middle of October, I performed an act of faith.  I took some garlic bulbs and carefully tilled some ground in my garden and then planted them in a (fairly straight) row.  Finally, I mulched them under a thick bed of straw.

All winter long, I did nothing to them.  I didn't water them.  I didn't weed them.  I didn't read these tiny bulbs stories, play the tuba for them or, do an interpretive dance for them.  I just left them alone, knowing that I had done what I could and that God would do the rest.

Now, this spring, there are nice green stalks poking above the ground to show where the garlic was planted last fall.  Now, I can't say that every clove came up, but enough has that it definitely was worth my while.

While I waited six or seven months for the results of my garlic planting, there are other things, like asparagus or fruit trees, where the results come years down the road.

There are many times that I do the same things in life.  As I speak to my patients, I am often trying to plant little seeds of encouragement to see them improve their health.  Often these seeds lie dormant for many moons, which is more than a little discouraging.  Every so often, someone chooses to act on my encouragement and that is enough reason to continue on.

Even more important are the seeds that I sow for Jesus.  For, He is the one who truly provides healing and makes a difference in hurting lives.  While it is an act of faith to share my experiences with others, once again, it is sowing a seed that may sprout in time.

I will keep sowing these seeds, for while everyone will not grow and bear fruit, even a few makes it worthwhile.  So much more so than planting a few cloves of garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment