Search This Blog

Friday, February 27, 2015

Room to Grow


When I was growing up, my mother was a firm believer that you should buy clothes with "room to grow."  This meant that my clothes never fit at the beginning of the school year and sometimes not at the end of the school year, either.

At the beginning of my third grade year, my mother went out and bought me new shoes.  They were very nice, but they were big enough that they kept slipping off. 

At recess, we had a game of kick ball going.  When it was my turn, I ran up and viciously kicked the ball.  Unfortunately, my shoe traveled farther than the ball did, flying out and landing just past second base.

It was very embarrassing.

These days, I don't  buy my clothes with room to grow.  I achieved my adult height long ago and while I may get bigger around the waist, I would prefer to remain the same size.

At the same time, there are areas in my life where I hope I never stop growing -- in knowledge, in kindness, and in wisdom.  In love for God and love for those around me.

I'm afraid in a spiritual sense, it is all too easy to reach a place where we feel like we are good enough and become complacent.  There is little need for spiritual growth when you believe you have achieved everything you need to achieve.

I am afraid that there are lots of people who, having reached base camp at Mt. Everest never have a desire to climb higher.  Just being there is good enough for them.

At the same time, the giants for God did not become so overnight.  Day by day they experienced growth.  Through trials and tempests they struggled on, never complacent, never satisfied.

They were always looking for a closer walk with God and a deeper connection in prayer.

They always bought their spiritual clothes with a little room to grow.

That's how I want to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment