Search This Blog

Friday, February 13, 2015

Seeing the Light


As I was driving home from work last night, there were clouds everywhere.  The sky was a slate gray, with the sun hiding somewhere just above the western horizon.  Then, suddenly, for a brief moment the sun poked its head out, lighting up the edges of the clouds and turning the heavens all orange and pink.

As I looked at the beautiful sunset, I realized that the loveliest sunsets have clouds.  The sun sinking behind a ridge on a cloudless day is not nearly as breath taking as the sun shining through broken clouds.

It is the contrast between the clouds and the sun that lets us see and appreciate the beauty of the sun.  It is the darkness that makes us reach towards the light.  It is the sorrow of death that makes us hope for heaven.

I have found that this world is a very dark place.  There is anger and hatred.  Sadness abounds on every side.  I wonder how to explain this sort of a world to my children.

I cannot explain to them the evil that is around us.  I cannot understand it.  But it isn't important that they understand it.  It is far more important that they know that they are loved and in that love they can feel secure, whatever winds may blow.

It is in these sorts of times that I seek my Heavenly Father's face.  For, I cannot comprehend this world and its darkness.

As I stand before Him, God doesn't explain the mystery of the darkness to me.  He only shows to me His light and His love.  In that moment, I understand a little better who He is and how great His love is for me.

And that's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment