Search This Blog

Friday, November 24, 2023

Odd Things to be Thankful For

 


“Honey,” my beautiful wife told me.  “I have some bad news.”

My tendency towards catastrophizing kicked into overdrive.  “Is there something wrong with one of the children?”  I asked.  “Did you have an accident?”

“No, nothing like that,” Elaine reassured me.

“Then what?”  I was out of catastrophes that my mind could think of, although given another minute or two, I think I could have come up with more farfetched disasters.

“Well, as I was getting into the minivan, the door handle came off in my hand,” Elaine said.  “Now, you have to get someone to open the door for you from the inside – or you can go around to the passenger’s side and open it yourself.”

“Oh,” I said.  “Well, at least that is fixable.”

It is fixable, but it will take several days for the part to come in.  In the meantime, it is a struggle to get into the driver’s side of our van – and even more of struggle to drive if you don’t.

On the bright side of things, it is much harder for thieves to break into our van.  In fact, no one has stolen our van, nor anything out of it since this occurrence.

(I’m guessing that when thieves see our van, they run screaming in the other direction.  But I digress.)

I Thessalonians 5:18 says, “In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”

For whatever reason, our human tendency is not to appreciate the things that we have.  Health is something that many take for granted until such time as they are forced to wander into my office due to illness.

I trust that we can learn to value the things we have before we no longer have them.  Counting blessings is an important step to experiencing a happier life. 

I can say for certain that I have never been as thankful for a door handle on a vehicle as when my wife demonstrated her mighty strength by tearing ours off.


No comments:

Post a Comment