Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2022

Want My Mom!

 


"I want my mom!"  Elise said in a very distressed voice.  "Where's my mom?"

"Mom is at Walmart," I said.

"No," Elise said in a mournful voice.  "Mom went to flute lessons.  I want to go to flute lessons too."

"Anna doesn't have flute lessons today," I said.  "So, Mom wouldn't be taking her there."

"Mom will be back," Elise said in a distressed voice that told that she wasn't certain if she would ever see her dearly departed mother ever again.

"Of course," I told her, reassuringly.  "Mom always comes back.  Don't worry about it."

Elise is three years old and she worries about her mother no end when Elaine is out of her sight.

I suppose it is a bit like James James Morrison Morrison who told his mother, "You must never go down to the end of town if you don't go down with me!" (see A.A. Milne's poem "Disobedience" for those unfamiliar.)

We have a longing for those who are not with us that cannot be assuaged by simple reassurance.  There are many in this world who have lost friends and family members to death and the empty spot in their lives will never fully be filled, even though people tell them that "time heals all wounds." 

There is Someone even more important who Christians are missing.

Jesus told His followers at the Last Supper that He was going away.  This statement saddened and confused them.  They didn't really understand that He was talking about His death and were full of questions.  It is a blessing that He shared more with them.  (see John 14)

"I will come again," Jesus told the disciples.  "That where I am, there you may be also."

My little girl misses her mother terribly when Elaine is gone for even a short time.  We should miss Jesus just as much -- only consoled by the knowledge that He has promised that He will come again for us so that where He is, there we may be also.

No comments:

Post a Comment