Search This Blog

Friday, July 22, 2022

A Parable of the Littered Picnic Spot

 


'Tis my practice, even in times of respite, that some call vacations, to arise at five hours after the midnight hour to begin my day.  It is not enjoyable for me to sleep past the rising of the sun, nor to saw logs long into the morning hours.

With this early rising, I often choose to go out watch the turning of the earth make it appear that the sun is rising.

(Of course, since we live long after the time of Copernicus, I know that none of us would refer to this as a sun rise.  Further we know that the earth is not the Center of the Solar System, much less the Universe, but that is another story for another day.)

On one such trip, I went out to a trail for hiking.  I began following it along the edge of a creek.  Then, suddenly, I came upon a little open area where there were tables for picnics and the creek widened beneath some over-sheltering pine trees.

It was a beautiful spot and yet, those who had used it recently had left their mark.  I could see water bottles and wrappers of cookies and crackers strewn along the banks of the stream.

It made my heart sad to see the wonton "dirtification" of a lovely natural area.  As I heard a wise man say recently, we are not inheriting the earth from our parents, rather we are borrowing it from our children and grandchildren.

I pondered this much.  It seems that many people value their own "Good Times" and "Easy Life" over the effort needed to leave things better for those who will arrive on the scene after they leave it.

It is in the hearts of many that the hope to "Leave their mark" on this world.  With this in mind, the Pharaohs built huge pyramid shaped tombs and various popes spent millions of dollars and 150 years building the Basilica of St. Peters.

All too often humans shuffle off this mortal coil leaving behind only chaos and litter in the lives of those they spent time with.  It is a sad life that is remembered only for the trash it leaves behind.

We can do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment