Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2022

"I Wuv You, Dad!"


 

One day, in the year of our Lord 2022, I was driving through the County Campbell on my way to a store where they vend items having to do with Hardware.  For our kitchen sink had a leaky faucet and unfortunately, Faucets do not fix themselves.

My two-year-old daughter, Elise, was in her car seat singing a Beautiful Melody that shared some deep insights on Bus Wheels.

On completion of her tune,  she announced to me, “I Wuv You Dad!”

These are the sorts of words that would make even the stone heads on Mount Rushmore melt just a little.  One can only imagine the feelings that stirred in my chest.  “I love you too,” I told my daughter.

“I Wuv Mom!”  She said.  This too seemed reasonable.  Although Dads are important, Moms are important too.

“I Wuv my Blankie!”  Elise shared next.  Then this was followed by the definitive statement, “I Wuv Gloves!”

For some reason, our two year old has an odd fascination with gloves – particularly ones that are much too big for her.

I suppose it is not unusual for people to mix up the words “love” and “like.”  Elise is aware of both of these words, but perhaps her feelings for her parents aren’t that much deeper than her desire for her special blanket.

The story of Jesus and Peter came to my mind.  It was a time after Jesus’ resurrection.  Peter had denied his Lord three times and perhaps it was with this in mind that Jesus came to His follower and asked him three times, “Simon (Peter), son of Jonas, Lovest thou me?”

 Each time Peter answered, “Lord, yea, Thou knowest that I love Thee.”

 Peter was honest, but perhaps his understanding of Love was but a pale shadow the Divine Love that Jesus had for him.  For, Jesus had gone to the cross for Peter.  The reverse had not been true.

 I am certain that my love for my Master is not nearly as Deep and Committed as it should be.  So often it becomes distracted and focused on things that are trivial in comparison to my Savior.

 Maybe it is similar to a young child who loves not only her parents, but also her blankie and gloves, with equal fervor.


No comments:

Post a Comment