Search This Blog

Friday, July 5, 2019

Altered Words


"I just figured out the words to Amazing Grace, Dad," Elliot told me, a little proudly.

"Really, which part were you struggling with?"  I asked, mentally scanning the lines.  Maybe, 'I once was blond but now I see?' was the one.

"I thought for the longest time that it said, 'To save a wrench like me.'  Now I know it's saying the word wretch,"  Elliot said.

I laughed.  "Yes, the word is wretch and not wrench."

My children aren't always good with the words of songs by memory and when they don't know a word, they often substitute something that sounds similar.

I suppose they take after their dad there...

The imagery in the song Amazing Grace stands out.  First, there is a picture of humans without grace -- blind, lost, and wretched.  This is crucial for us to understand so that we can connect with how amazing the grace must be to save us.

Perhaps it is easy to think that it took less grace to save someone like me, because I am a little better person than some others that I know.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

It truly took Amazing Grace and Love Beyond Degree to Save a Wrench Like Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment