Search This Blog

Friday, February 15, 2019

Breaking Glass


"What are you doing, Elliot?"  I asked my seven-year old son, who was making very odd, high pitched noises, instead of eating his very tasty supper.

"I'm trying to sing a note high enough it breaks my glass,"  Elliot told me.  "I though maybe something happened a little bit ago, but I can't sing high enough all of the time."

"I think it is actually harder to break glass with your voice than it seems,"  I said.  "I've never seen it done and I've lived a lot longer than you.  Beyond which, your cup is made of plastic.  I guarantee that you won't break it with your voice."

I did some research and found out that it is possible to shatter a glass with your voice.  It requires a very delicate glass, the right pitch, and extremely loud volumes -- somewhere around 100 decibels should do it.

While most of us will never break any type of glass with our voices, there is no doubt that they are very powerful.  It isn't their loudness, but what we say with them that impacts others.

James knew this thousands of years ago when he wrote about the tongue, "...but no human being can tame the tongue.  It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison."

I know that far too many times I have used my voice to wound others.  Even though I did no physical harm to them, the hurts are still very real.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but the scars from hurtful words take far longer to heal...

I need to give control of my words to God and speak with love in all situations.  For when my voice is uncontrolled, glass is the least important of the things that could be broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment