Search This Blog

Friday, August 4, 2017

From India?


"So," the lady said to me.  "I heard you're from India?"

"Well, close," I answered her.  "My family actually moved to the area from Indiana."

"Oh," the lady said.  "I thought you talked awful good for someone so far away."  She paused.  "And I heard you're a Mormon?"

"I'm a Mennonite," I replied.  "I guess both of those do start with the letter 'M,' though."

I suppose I am the talk of Brookneal and there have been more than a few conversations about the new doctor.  But this one highlights one of the problems with gossip.  For, something that begins with a factual story can turn into a fanciful tale that is only partially related to the truth.

More than that, gossip is a sin that is dangerous, not only to the person being talked about, but also to the person sharing the "news."  It is just awfully easy to go from sharing honest information to the place where we are saying hurtful things about a person.

Our words and thoughts should always begin with love.

It is easy to think that this is a small town problem, but the truth is that I think all of us struggle with this at one time or, another.   At the same time, God doesn't appreciate it when we share juicy stories about others, even if they are completely true.

Much less if we are repeating stories about the new Mormon Indian who is currently seeing patients in Brookneal.

No comments:

Post a Comment