Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2016

Honest Prayers


We do devotions as a family every evening.  When Elliot was two and it was his turn to pray, he received some "guidance."

One evening, Elaine was praying with him.  "Dear Jesus, thank you for my family," Elliot dutifully repeated.  "And help Anna feel better,"  once again Elliot repeated the prayer.  "And help me to be an obedient boy."

After this there came a pause and Elliot looked up at his mother.  "No," he said.  "I don't want to say that."

I was struck by the honesty of our two year old.  He didn't want to be obedient, so why pray for help in that area?

I had to ask myself as well, how many times I had prayed words asking for victory in some area that I was unwilling to yield to Jesus.

In Luke, Jesus tells the story of a dishonest judge who finally gives justice to a poor widow, because she plagues him until he gives in.  Will not God, who is just and loving, listen more to His children who cry out to Him?  The key to this story is that the widow truly wanted what she was asking for.  She wanted it so much that she could think of little else but her court case.

So often, the things that we want are not the important things.  Improvements in pay, safety in travel, and even health are not nearly as important as growing closer to God.  And so we mouth words asking for the important things -- growth and victory -- even while we desire a lot of trivial things.

God so often gives us what we want, not what we ask for.  I guarantee that He will not help Elliot obey, if Elliot's heart is set on disobedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment