Search This Blog

Friday, August 7, 2015

Splint or Crutches?


"Dad," Vince asked me.  "Which do you like better, your splint or, your crutches?"

It wasn't an easy question to answer. 

I was lying on a bed in a hotel room with my leg propped up and a stirrup splint strapped to my swollen ankle and crutches beside the bed.  I wasn't grateful for anything in this picture.  In fact, I was upset at how a sprained ankle was going to spoil a family reunion for me.

As I battled self pity, I remembered a verse from Phillipians.  "Rejoice in the Lord always..."  I wondered how that applied to my situation.  What was the good thing that I could rejoice about?

It has been my tendency to try to figure out the good things that come about because of the suffering I experience.  The traffic accident I avoided because I was running late.  The lessons that I learned because of the difficulties I faced.

But the command is not to try figure out how having a sprained ankle will help me grow, or develop character or, benefit me in some tangible way.  The command is to rejoice.

I never did figure out a reason why I sprained my ankle playing Ultimate Frisbee or, why the elevators weren't working in our hotel and I had to maneuver my way up and down eight flights of steps with an ankle the size of a softball, but that doesn't matter.

My son Vince was right.  I need to have joy in the presence of pain and splints and crutches -- not because I like them, but because I serve a great God.

He's enough for every situation I face.

No comments:

Post a Comment