Search This Blog

Friday, August 21, 2015

Crazy Eyes


It came to pass one day, as the time of school drew near, that my beautiful wife and beloved children did wend their way unto the office of a Doctor of Optometry. 

And there, they found out news, but not all of it was good.

Later that same day, my oldest son, Vince did approach me.  "Dad," he said.  "I have a Crazy Eye that doesn't see well," and so saying, he squinched up his left eye and he stared out at me from his Crazy Eye.

"I suppose that is why you need glasses," I told him.

Vince nodded his head sagely.  "Yes, Dad, glasses are for people with Crazy Eyes."

Perhaps my son is right.  Maybe it is those with Crazy Eyes who need lenses between them and the rest of the world to help them focus, but I think it is more than that.

It matters little if one has an astigmatism like Vince, or is near sighted, as I have been told my daughter Anna is, the question is whether or not you can see the world around you clearly.  If not, then a little help is just what the Doctor of Optometry orders.

The book of Proverbs says that "Where there is no vision, the people perish."  While it would be tempting to think of this as talking about a community without glasses running stop signs and cutting of digits due to lack of sight, the issue is a lot more important than that.

Vision speaks of seeing the future.

Where do you want to be in ten years?  Now, tell me what you are doing to get there.  Each decision you make is taking you farther from, or closer to your goals.  It takes a special kind of glasses to be able to focus on your own life and your own actions and evaluate where they are taking you.

So it is, that the most important vision is not the kind that optometrists can fix with lenses.  The problem is not people with Crazy Eyes, it is people who do not see themselves as God sees them and who will live in chaos as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment