Search This Blog

Friday, December 26, 2014

Gifts


Christmas is a time of year when people give gifts.  I remember as a boy going shopping to buy my parents something for Christmas.

It was hard, because I usually only had five or six dollars to spend for everyone on my list.  Often I ended up getting tiny candles, or pencils with scripture quotes because it was all I could afford.

When Christmas rolled around my parents always acted very pleased with the little trinkets I gave them.  As a dad, I understand.  I don't need any of the things that my children can buy me, but the gifts demonstrate hearts full of love.

In the same way, I believe that God likes us to give Him things, not because He needs anything from us, but because it demonstrates our love for Him.

God doesn't need our stuff, but He wants our love.

Even as we give to others, we are giving to Him.  "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me."

It has been said that we should give until it hurts, but I believe that we should give till it stops hurting.  Only then will we demonstrate the love that is inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment