Search This Blog

Friday, October 31, 2014

Going to Heaven


Elliot at lunch time one day said:  "We're going to be with Jesus."

We were taken aback for a second, not sure where the statement came from.  Elaine said,  "Yes, Elliot, we will go to heaven some day."

Elliot's lower lip quivered.  "I don't want to go to be with Jesus!"  He said emphatically.

It turned out that Anna had been instructing Vince and Elliot on their futures.  Elliot had misunderstood and thought that he was going to heaven that afternoon.

Of course, people talk about heaven a lot and the fact that they want to go there when they die, but I think for most of them, they hope that day is a long ways off.  I suppose most of us want to go to heaven, we just don't want to have to die to get there.

And yet, if heaven is so much better than anything we can experience here on earth, wouldn't we want to go there?

Perhaps the biggest problem is that death seems so unknown.  We trust the seen, known life we live in the now rather than the unknown life in the here-after.

I don't know a whole lot about heaven.  It sounds pretty good in the Bible, but I imagine there's a lot of things left out in the descriptions there.  At the same time, my confidence isn't in a place with streets of gold, it is in a Heavenly Father who has never failed me.

While I don't know much about heaven, any place He is preparing for me has got to be pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment