Search This Blog

Friday, July 4, 2014

Footprints in the Sand


We walked or, rather, hiked, down part of the Cumberland Trail.  It was a rough trail that lead from Signal Point, meandering up and down the side of the mountain, with (very occasional) amazing vistas to look out over the Smoky Mountains and the Tennessee River winding between them.

The trial is very rough.  When there are steps, they are often large and irregular.  At some point, I lifted my three year old son, Elliot, onto my shoulders and carried him.  Things were a lot easier after that time.  We could go at a faster pace and he didn't struggle with steps any more.

As I carried him down and then up the hill, I though of the story of the "Footprints in the Sand."  It tells how a man reaches the end of his life and sees it portrayed with two sets of footprints, except in certain areas where there was only one set.  God tells him that there was only one set of footprints in those locations, because God was carrying him through hard times.

That has not been my experience with God as my Father.  God does not lift me up on His shoulders to carry me across the uneven rocks, rather He takes my hand and with infinite patience coaxes me across the hard places.

It is His strength that upholds me, His will that guides, and His foreknowledge that chooses the trail that I take.  He never carries me over the rough places, but instead helps me through them.

This is the way that I gain strength, which I would not do if He carried me.  For, my God loves me enough to do for me what He can help me do myself and patient enough to let me take my time doing it.  And that makes Him a most Awesome Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment