Search This Blog

Friday, October 11, 2024

Six Percent

 


“Is this your phone, Anna?”  I asked my oldest child.  I suppose the lavender case should have given it away, but I am not always aware of what the pieces of technology my family members carry around for communication purposes look like.

“Yes, that’s my phone,” Anna said.

“It looks like you’ll have to recharge it soon,” I commented. 

“What?”  Anna looked at the phone.  “Oh no,” she said.  “It has 6 percent charge left.  That will keep it going for another couple of hours for certain.”

I looked askance at my eldest daughter.  Surely she had not learned such cavalier behavior from her dear father. 

Climb high mountains, shoot for the moon -- but be sure your phone is charged first...

“There’s something going around Facebook about changing your voice mail message if you are lost in the woods and your battery is low and you don’t have service,” I said.  “I don’t think that would work because if you don’t have service you can’t change your voicemail message, so I’m trying to prevent that from happening.”

Anna looked me like I needed to check into a behavioral unit.  “Dad, I’m right here,” she said.  “I don’t think I’m about to get lost in the woods.”

“That’s what you think,” I said.  “But what percent of people who got lost in the woods expected to get lost?  It's all fun and games and six percent battery life and then 'poof,' Lost in the Woods!”

With these words of wisdom, I left the conversation.  Clearly, Anna wasn’t planning to charge her phone until it got down to some reasonable number -- say one or two percent battery life and she probably wasn’t going to get lost in the woods in the next couple of hours either.

I have always thought that people tend to find themselves polarized around things like cell phone batteries and gas tanks.  There are some people who feel comfortable driving around with the gas light on in their car, while others are filling up when their vehicle gets to the half tank mark.

I tend towards the compulsive filling the tank and charging my phone camp.  I hate getting anywhere close to empty, either in my vehicle or my phone.

It is easy to plug your phone in when it is getting low on battery and relatively easy to fill your gas tank. 

Much harder than that is to deal with situations where we are emotionally or physically depleted.  What can you do to bring your emotional battery level back into the green zone?

There are lots of things that have been written on the subject, but I believe a good place to start is to know our own limitations and then have a plan for regular times to recharge.  Those times must include a break from draining activities and deliberate inclusion of things that we enjoy doing and that don’t leave us more weary than before.

More than that, spending time with Jesus is really important.  He said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28)

If I am honest, I am not always good at following my own prescription.  I need rest.  I need time with Jesus.  And yet…  it is all too easy to try to squeeze one more thing into my packed schedule.  When I do this, I am not the only one who suffers – the people who live with me and experience my resulting grouchiness suffer too.

So it is that Jesus offers us rest.  For He knows that a life lived at six percent battery level is not in good shape – even if we never get lost in the woods.


No comments:

Post a Comment