Search This Blog

Friday, January 12, 2024

Higher than a House!

 


“Elise, what animal can jump higher than a house?”  Elise’s dad was asking her a really hard question.

Elise thought and thought.  “I think that Mr. Dinosaur can jump higher than a house!”  She told me with confidence.  (Mr. Dinosaur is a small stuffed T. Rex that hangs out with Elise at bedtime.)

Elise’s sister, Victoria, was listening in on this conversation and she decided to put in her two cents.  “No, Elise,” she said.  “Any animal can jump higher than a house, because a house can’t jump!”

“Well,” I said, trying to encourage both of my daughters.  “Elise is right that a dinosaur can probably jump higher than a house (that is, if there were any dinosaurs still around to jump), but Victoria you are right that houses don’t jump.”

I began thinking about this riddle and I realized that it isn’t totally accurate.  I suppose that any animal can jump as high as a house, but some animals simply don’t jump.  Elephants, Hippos, Rhinos, and Sloths do not jump at all, therefore they can’t jump higher than a house – they, like a house, don’t jump.

Somehow from there, my mind went to the famous theoretical physicist, Stephen Hawking.  Stephen Hawking couldn’t jump higher than a house, although to turn things around a little bit, a house couldn’t jump higher than Stephen Hawking either.  I’m not sure who should feel worse about this comparison, the house or Stephen Hawking.

(I know Mr. Hawking is no longer with us, but it still is an interesting theoretical thing to contemplate.)

Then, what about Baba Yaga’s house?  Since it stands on chicken legs, surely it cannot only walk around, but jump!  Suddenly, my amazing riddle to stump my four-year-old daughter disappeared in a cloud of mythological dust.

Some of us, quite simply are over thinkers.  We analyze things to death – even children’s riddles that are simply designed to amuse and not bemuse the hearers.  The problem, of course, is that overthinking can lead to anxiety and distress.

Psalms 94:19 says, “When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer.”  (NLT)

There isn’t really any solution for doubt and anxiety better than relying on God and feeling His comforting arms supporting us.  For, doubts do dismay and anxieties destroy peace, but God’s love reaches past all of them to give wholeness. 

He even grants peace to those of us who can’t decide who really can jump higher than a house.


No comments:

Post a Comment