Search This Blog

Friday, September 1, 2023

Parable of a Wife Inspired Visit

 


 

One day, it came to pass than an older gentleman walked through the hallowed doors where I ply my trade as a medicine man.  Though he paid me for his visit, yet it seemed that he little needed my services.

“I take note,” I told him.  “That thy blood pressure seemeth quite high.  Yea, the top number approacheth and verily, it is equal to 170.”

“Thou does not know whereof thou speakest,” replied he, in a gruff voice.  “I didst check it once, six weeks anon and it was more or less fine.”

I paused, assembling the forces of my mind and began again.  “I see as well, that on thy last blood work, thy blood sugar and cholesterol were elevated,” I remarked, in what I hoped was a non-threatening voice.

“I have looked into these-here medicines that “doctors” (this he spake in such a way as to make it sound like as if he was saying the word “quacks”) like you put upon gentle folk like me.  Truly, I would rather deal with sugar and cholesterol than to have any of thy “wholesome” remedies.”

I shrugged.  “Thou must do what thou must,” I said.  “As a wise man once said, ‘I can but show thee the best path, but whether thou takest it is Plum up to Thee.”

The Older Fellow made a face.  “Thou canst show whatever thou desirest,” saith he.  “I am here to make my Wife Happy and now that I have Done My Duty, I will run along.”

I said no more and our interesting dialogue was at an end.  But, lo, I am quite certain that his wife would not be happy, did she know his attitude or the content of our conversation.  For, it doth very little for Someone to Go to the Doctor, if he doth not listen to what the doctor says and avail himself of it.

It seemeth to me that many “Christians” have the same idea.  These well-intentioned folk have the delusion that what makes God Happy is to go to a building once a week and sit with other people, who are also making God Happy.  More than that, they have liked the right posts on Facebook and even shared that post that Facebook was trying to shut down that quoted the Lord’s Prayer.

Micah 6:8 says, “He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?”

It intrigues me that the three things which are spoken of are loving mercy, behaving justly, and acting with humility.  Mayhap the Prophet Micah had not heard of the Wonders of Facebook or even of Church Attendance, yet, even if he had, I think God is still desirous of more than having His children show up and Go Through the Motions.

That isn’t to say that it isn’t good to do these things.  I do attend church, but it is with the understanding that it is not to Make God Happy, but to encourage me in the Pursuit of Righteousness.

For those who show up at church, but do not pursue the path of Jesus wholeheartedly are much like a man who goes to the doctor because his wife wants him to but does none of the things the doctor recommends.


No comments:

Post a Comment