Search This Blog

Friday, August 4, 2023

The Wrong Notes

 


 

One day, it came to pass, that I found myself sitting in the sanctuary of my church.  Now, this is not surprising, for I attend there frequently when I am not Out of Town.  Further, I appreciate muchly both the singing and The People, for they Love Jesus and Encourage me Greatly.

Now, as I sat in my seat, the singing came to an end, and I realized that I had been called to the front to share a Sermon.  Now, this also was not too surprising, for I have been known to teach and even preach within our little church.

I went forward to do what was asked of me and standing at the front of the church, I looked out into the congregation.  Now, I must confess that I do not picture people sitting in their underclothes when I am speaking.  I am not certain who thought that practice would be Helpful, but I find it distinctly Not Helpful to calm anxiety.

Forthwith, I opened my Bible and removed some sheets of paper which entailed my notes on the subject of Abram and Lot.  Except, looking at these wondrous fair Sheets of Papyrus, I found that they had none of my hieroglyphics on them, but rather writing that looked much like that of my fair wife.

Lo, I studied the first page and found that it was a recipe for Zucchini Brownies.  Now, Zucchini Brownies are Delectable and Moist and Tasty and The Bomb and All That, but they are not a subject for a Sermon.  In fact, I do not know for certain if either Abram or Lot ever tasted Zucchini Brownies, but I think not.

I turned to the next page, hoping Beyond Hope, to find something Worth Preaching About, but found a wondrous recipe for Peach Jam.  Now, once again, I have had Elaine’s Peach Jam and it is Worth Talking About – only not on Sunday morning.

It was at this point that I raised my head to the congregation, when by a Wonderful Stroke of Providence, I heard a beeping sound start and I realized that it was my Alarm Clock.  It was time to Wake Up and get ready for Another Day.

Now, when I was a boy, I hated any story that ended with the words, “And with that, he woke up and discovered that it had all been a dream.”  Except, that in this case, I was Awful Glad that it had just been a dream.

I have been told that oft-times our anxieties are revealed in our dreams.  Verily, it is true that I worry much about things, many of which may never come to pass.  I worry that my children might not grow up to Love Jesus.  I worry that my patients might not be as Healthy as Other Doctor’s Patients.  Apparently, I even worry that I would bring my wife’s recipes to church and try to preach from them.

I have often pondered the solution for anxiety.  I have heard Ministers say things like “Let Go and Let God” at which point, I picture myself holding onto a rope on the side of cliff and wonder how letting go will help God out.

Jesus said, “Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.”  Verily, this is a true statement, but for an Anxious Man, figuring out how not to drag tomorrow’s problems into today is a Challenge.  It seems to me that our focus is to be on the Things of God.  If we pursue the Kingdom of God, mayhap we will not have as much attention to focus on the worries of tomorrow or the regrets of yesterday.

Our Heavenly Father knoweth who we are and of what we are made.  He wants us to trust Him – even to get us through a public speaking experience with the Wrong Notes.


No comments:

Post a Comment