Search This Blog

Friday, July 21, 2023

Practicing Muchly

 


One day, in the House of Waldron, there went up a din as of the voices of a great people at war.  Sadly, though, there was no voice of an intruder within our household, but merely the voices of my two eldest children.  They were crying out with emotion filled tones so that even those living in Indonesia might, perhaps, have heard them, had they only known to pay attention.

"Vincent Waldron!"  My eldest child spake in an anguished voice.  "Thou hast practiced more than Thy Fair Share!  The time has come for thee to pause thy practicing for a time, times and half a times!"

"Anna!"  Vincent responded in a voice as filled with despair, as if someone had eaten the last chocolate zucchini muffin and had left him only crumbs for breakfast.  "I know that it fair Drives You Crazy that I practice my String Bass muchly, but it is no Skin off thy Nose, for I would have a place in the orchestra this fall and that taketh much work.  Further, you play flute and therefore I will not steal thy place within the orchestra -- not though I was ever so much better than I am."

"What is the problem?"  I asked my progeny.

"We are keeping track of half hours of practice time for the orchestra camp in August," Anna told me disgustedly.  "My dearest brother has already practiced five hours more than I have!  Even worse, he continueth to practice muchly and I would have him Slow Down, so that I mightest catch up a little."

I frowned.  'Tis an interesting and sticky problem to deal with.  Most parents struggle to get their children to dedicate themselves to practice, but my oldest children play their instruments a great amount.  They practice thus without a Nagging Word.  They are not always so dedicated to household chores, but that is Another Story for Another Blog.

"Anna, Anna," I said.  "You have much care and worry, and I am glad that thou desirest to practice.  Yet, it is not a great trial to thee if thy brother practices also.  Yea, if he should pass thy total by fifty hours, yet, if thou hast done thy best, what is that to thee?"

The Apostle Paul wrote to the church at Colosse, "Whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not unto men." (3:23)

A great challenge presents itself to each one of us.  First, we are to do our very best, working whole heartedly to accomplish the things set before us.  More than that, we are called to perform our tasks for an Audience of One.

Perhaps it seems that we fall behind -- that our best is worse than the minimal efforts of our co-workers.  Just so long as it truly is our best, we have nothing to be ashamed of and Our Master will gladly accept the gift of our service.

For, though we may fall behind ever so far in half hours of practicing, if we have used our time wisely, all will be well.  Verily, there is much to do in this world than simply practice musical instruments -- even if orchestra camp is looming ever closer on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment