Search This Blog

Friday, May 12, 2023

Church Signs

 


“God accepts knee mail.”

I read the sign and smiled a little.  Church signs have always amused me.  It seems that the folks who put the sayings on them usually fall into one of three camps.

There is a group that simply put a Bible verse or hymn title on them.  These are safe, although I'm guessing people don't pay as much attention to them as to some other signs.

There is a group of sign posters that simply puts the title of the pastor’s next sermon.  Of course, these can be creative depending on the preacher.  Some preachers are prone to choosing boring titles, like “Abraham a man of God" or "Honoring Your Mother on Mother's Day."

(I'm not one to cast stones -- I am terrible at choosing titles for things I share.)

The last group are those who try to get creative with the church signs.  These are funny things that often seem as though someone whose main calling in life is to tell Dad jokes decided to get into the church sign business.

“God wants spiritual fruits not religious nuts.”

One man told me that he had charge of a church sign for a while.  “I had a book of little sayings that I used,” he said.  “You don’t want them to be too long because then people can’t read the whole sign before they drive by.  They need to make people notice the sign."

I do wonder how many people stop in for a church service because of the church sign.  My guess is not many.  Those who go to church already have a church and those who don’t attend church aren’t likely to drop in, simply because the sign in front of the church made them chuckle.

The writer of Hebrews told the people to whom he was writing, “Don’t stop meeting together with other believers, which some people have gotten into the habit of doing. Instead, encourage each other, especially as you see the day drawing near.”

We need fellowship.  We need encouragement.  We need a church family – not because of their awesome signs, but because of the light they carry with them.  Without that encouragement and support we are bound to struggle.

As one church sign writer put it so well, 

"Ch—ch.  What’s missing?  UR!”


No comments:

Post a Comment