Search This Blog

Friday, February 11, 2022

Approaching the Great Physician

 


And it came to pass that one day I traveled along highways and byways of Virginia to a town wherein there is a single traffic light, two apothecaries, and a large Recycle Center.  There, within the town, I made my way to Carolina Avenue, where I found a building that houseth dispensers of Medicines and Medical Advice.

 It is within this very building that I labor, giving names strange diseases like “Upper Respiratory Infections,” “Diver's Tick-ilitis,” and even the dread malady “Arthur-it-is.”  Along with this occupation of naming illnesses, at times, I tell people What to Do and further, to Stop Eating Junk Food.

 Me thinks I am like a Voice Crying in the Wilderness.

 On this particular day, there passed my doors a man who was almost exactly twice my age.  This is more unusual these days, as I am no longer twenty-four and those few who are double my age are Very Old indeed.

 We discussed his various ailments, which were remarkably few, considering his age.  At the end of our time together I expressed this in the manner of all good Medicine Men, “You, Sir, are in very good shape for the shape you are in.”

 My young for his age patient chuckled a little and then replied, “You’re doing a good job keeping me going.  You don’t have very good material to work with.  And thank you, too.”

 I found a lot of humility in this little conversation and honesty as well.  And yet, I, who am a Medicine Man for many, do not ever think about the fragility of my patients, or that they are not Worth the Effort.  Rather I think of how I might help their various Illnesses and Speed their Recovery.

 I know that there are many times when I have approached the Great Physician, bowing myself at His feet and seeking healing and even victory over my weaknesses.  “But Lord,” I have cried many times.  “I know you don’t have very good material to work with.  Do what you can.  And thank you too.  Amen.”

 Though every word I have spoken is true, He does not send me away empty.  Instead, He works something Worthwhile in one who feels himself to be of Little Worth.

 For, the one who cometh unto Him, He will in no wise cast out.

No comments:

Post a Comment