Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2021

Magnify the Beauty

 


"Why does it take you so long to write a letter, Anna?"  I asked my oldest child.

"It just does, Dad," she answered me, but I knew the answer without asking.  The thing is that she is into calligraphy.  She carefully draws letters and words into cards and on envelopes, sending off little epistles to friends of hers.

It amazes me.  To graduate from medical school, you have to take a handwriting exam -- and fail it.  At least that's the way it seems to those who have tried to read my scribbling that I call cursive writing.

I remember an older patient of mine watching me write something out with a shocked look on her face.  "Young man," she said to me.  "If I had taught you in school you would write better than that!"

"I'm sure you are right, Ms. Hilda," I told her sheepishly.  Truth to tell, my teachers did the best they could with the material they were given to mold.

I suppose we can argue about whether calligraphy is worth it.  Even if I wanted to write that way, I don't think I could.

It is a beautiful thing to turn a letter into a special thing.  Ecclesiastes tells us that, "He has made everything beautiful in His time..."

We have only to look around us to see the effort God put into the smallest and largest parts of Creation.  Whether you are using a microscope or a telescope, there is a loveliness in Nature that didn't just happen by chance.

A bigger question comes to me, "How much effort do I make at beautifying the lives of those around me?"

I may not be able to write beautiful handwritten letters, but there are many things that I can say and do to make 2021 a beautiful place of those who know me.

To magnify the beauty is a resolution that I would make for 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment