Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Praying for Astronauts



 "And we go to Final Countdown!"  A woman's voice crackled with tension.  "10 -- 9 -- 8--..."

My children and I were watching the launch of the Space X Falcon 9 Space Capsule that was to link up with the International Space Station.  If those doing the telecast were nervous, I also felt tense.

"And we have lift off!"  A blinding light emitted from the base of the rocket and slowly the rocket began to leave the launch pad.  Then rapidly it soared, becoming a glowing light headed for the dark recesses of Space.

As I watched the rocket rise through the atmosphere, I began to pray for the astronauts.  "Lord, keep them safe.  Protect them..."  

Perhaps in this scientific age it seems unneeded, but I remember another space flight when I was eleven years old.  It was the flight of the Challenger where the seven crew members aboard "Slipped the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God."

The Challenger disaster was the first time that I had thought of the Space Program as anything but routine.  Up to that point, I did not understand the dangers involved in space flight.  That day in January of 1986 was the beginning of my realization that science cannot solve all problems.

As I've gotten older, I realize this more than ever.  I am sure that there are still many among us who still have an undying confidence in science, but I realize that there is something -- Someone -- more.

And so, as I watched the Falcon 9 rise, I prayed for these astronauts I didn't know at all.  They had families who wanted to see them again.  Science had done what it could, but I wanted God's hand of protection over their flight.

I think about this now in terms of COVID-19.  There are men and women who every day gear up to take care of very ill people in clinics and ERs and ICUs.  They are doing the best they can.  They are using all the tools that science has given them to care for themselves and for others.

They are stressed to the maximum.  Perhaps those of us still on the ground watching them throw caution to the winds can do a bit more.  Perhaps we can give them encouragement in some little way.  Maybe we can pray for them, that God would give them strength and courage.  That He would calm their minds and give them peace in a way that Science cannot do.

We need to draw our prayer circle just a little wider...

These days, Science sits on the throne, but  even its most ardent devotees have an uncomfortable feeling that it is but a usurper.  It give no peace or joy to its followers.  Its control is at best tenuous as we await the Return of the King.

No comments:

Post a Comment