Search This Blog

Friday, August 23, 2019

A Lizard Named Lazarus


"What do you have there?" I asked my eight year old son as he bent over a little wooden box.

"It's treasure!"  He said dramatically.

"Really," I said.  "If it's enough treasure maybe it could help put you through college."

"Actually, Dad, it's some rocks I picked up and one other thing," Elliot proceeded to open the lid and a terrible odor emanated from the treasure box.

"That is the worst smelling treasure I've ever smelled!"  I said.

"That's because there's a lizard in there that I found,"  Elliot told me.

"Is it alive?"  I asked curiously, already knowing the answer.

"No, he's dead,"  Elliot said.  "It's way too hard to catch a live one."

"Maybe you should name him Lazarus," I said.  "All he needs is a resurrection to be as good as new."

In need of a resurrection.

Just a little thing and just the sort of thing that is beyond human knowledge and ability.  It is exactly the same thing that each one of us needs from a spiritual standpoint.

Without Jesus, we are "dead in trespasses and sins," as the Apostle Paul so aptly put it.  We are worthless and even worse, we stink to the One who made us.

The only solution is for us to invite the Savior to the opening of our tomb.  For only He can bring life in a place of death.  Only He can say in the place of death, "Lazarus, Come Forth!"

No comments:

Post a Comment