Search This Blog

Friday, March 22, 2019

Tomatoes in Heaven?


"Dad, will there be tomatoes in heaven?"  My eight year old son asked me, as he poked at the garden salad in his plate.

"Probably so," I said, without thinking too much about the question.

"Oh," Elliot said, somewhat crestfallen.  "But I thought there would only be things we like in heaven."

To be clear, Elliot doesn't like tomatoes.  He can eat them, but seemingly only with a healthy dose of ranch dressing added to them.

There was a long pause as my children digested the fact that there might be food they wouldn't like in glory.  "Well, I just won't eat them!"  Elliot said with finality.

"Neither will I!"  Echoed Vince and Victoria.

Of course, I don't actually know about the tomato situation in heaven.  It just isn't mentioned in the Bible -- probably because it isn't particularly important.

At the same time, I think the mistake many (including my children) make is to think that we will want and like the same things in heaven that we do here on earth.  The Apostle John wrote in his first letter "Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when He appears we shall be like Him, because we shall see Him as He is." (I John 3:3)

Just as our tastes and desires change when we become a Christian, they will change again when we see Jesus in that day.  The blessing is that we will be like Him for all eternity.

Possibly that means that people who only like ketchup will like tomatoes too, but that is probably just the tiniest part of what it means to be like Jesus.

Heaven will be wonderful.  Even if there are tomatoes there.

No comments:

Post a Comment