Search This Blog

Friday, April 20, 2018

Better Than a Sparrow


"Dad," my son Vince said to me.  "Look at the bird feeder.  There are lots of sparrows there."

"Sure, enough, there are," I said. 

 "I like to see the sparrows," Vince told me.  "I know that there are prettier birds, like cardinals, but when I see sparrows it always reminds me that one of the sparrows will not fall to the ground without God knowing it.  God cares about the sparrows, doesn't He?"

"He definitely does," I told my nine-year old son.

Of course, I care for the birds too.  I'm the one who is buying them bird seed and honestly, not a single one of them has ever thanked me, or sent me a card of appreciation in return.  I think they are beautiful and like seeing them at the feeders, even if bird seed is not free.

The verse my son was referring to does tell that God cares about the sparrows, but it doesn't stop there.  Jesus told His disciples, "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?  And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.  But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.  Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows." (Matt 10:29-31)

It is a blessing that God cares about the very smallest parts of creation.  He notices when sparrows and hummingbirds die.  Even more it is a blessing that He sees me as valuable and knows the tiniest details about me.

God knows us better than we know ourselves.

I don't know how many hairs there are on my head and my guess is that few people out there do.  The number of hairs isn't important (except, I suppose as they gradually lessen), but the fact that God knows this, extremely trivial aspect about us, indicates that He also knows and cares about the things that are important to us as well.

God sees us as valuable.

There are plenty of times that I don't feel valuable, times when I feel the tiniest part of this Universe.  God doesn't care that I'm tiny or that there are seven and half other billion humans out there.  God sees me as a worthwhile and important part of his vast creation.

I don't understand it, but that's what God thinks of us.

God does not want us to fear.

This passage doesn't promise that sparrows won't go through hard times.  It does state clearly that sparrows will not fall to the ground without our Heavenly Father.

In the same way, we will go through difficult times.  That is certain.  At the same time, God has promised that we will not go through these situations apart from Him.  He has stated that He will be with us regardless.

In the end, God cares for the birds.  Sometimes He uses generous people like myself and our bird feeders.  Sometimes He uses worms from the ground, but either way, the birds do not worry about their future.

The next time you see a sparrow stop for a second and think.  That tiny bird is important to God.  How much more am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment