Search This Blog

Friday, May 12, 2017

Helping a Song Sparrow Sing


"Dad, I saw a Blue Bird nesting today in the little bird house," my son Vince told me, seriously.

"Be careful not to disturb them," I said.  "We want them to be OK raising their babies there."

"Dad," Vince said.  "Birds don't have babies, they have fledglings.  People have babies."

"Oh," I said.  I haven't used the word fledgling for awhile.  I guess I'll start now.

"When I was walking out there," Vince told me.  "I saw a Song Sparrow.  I gave him a compliment."

"Really?"

"Yes, I told him that his song was beautiful."

Now, I don't know how much English Song Sparrows actually speak and I am sure that it makes no difference at all to them what an eight year old boy says about their song.  They sing because that's the way God made them.  At the same time, it is a blessing to share a compliment with someone.

I suppose it is one of those things that some people are better at than others.  It starts with noticing something that is well done or seeing someone who made an extra effort with something.

What you don't notice, you won't compliment.

It shouldn't stop with seeing.  It must then result in us bringing attention to it in a positive way.

I'm afraid that it is awfully easy to miss areas in our coworkers and children's lives that deserve encouragement.  It is even easier just not say anything about things we do see than to say "Good job!"

It is so worth sharing the positives we see in those around us.

You never know when someone is having a bad day and is just ready to give up, sure that no one notices how hard they are working or, the effort they are putting in.  Your compliment could lift their spirits and keep them going.

Or help a Song Sparrow sing extra well.

Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment