Search This Blog

Friday, July 17, 2015

Traveling for the Sake of Traveling


“Classic Travel Stories.” Perhaps it sounds like an interesting book. Certainly, a book that includes an assemblage of true stories from a variety of journeys in numerous different places is sure to have excitement on every page.

This is exactly what I thought when I picked up the book and started wading through it. The stories ranged from Xenephon’s journey from Persia to Greece, to Robert Fallon Scott’s disastrous attempt on the South Pole. All were very interesting indeed, yet I found something distinctly lacking.

You see, I found that the stories of the journeys themselves did not assuage my desire to know what these various individuals did upon reaching their goals. The journey is really only a means to an end.

I know this from my own life. I do not enjoy traveling, I enjoy getting places. I hate the hours that are often necessary to reach a given destination. If it were possible to teleport from one location to another and skip the travels completely, I would gladly take advantage of such an option.

Unfortunately, in life, many people believe that the goal is not nearly as important as the journey itself. Yet, a journey without a goal; travels without an intended end are worthless.

The writer of Hebrews made it clear in chapter 12, that our focus is not on the race, but on the finish line. "Therefore, ...let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eye on Jesus..." Somehow, in spite of all the obstacles, we must arrive in glory with Him.

Life is a journey; one made either aimlessly or in a goal directed fashion. It is only as we fix our eyes on Jesus and make Him the focal point of our travels that our goal of eternity with Him will be realized.

No comments:

Post a Comment