Search This Blog

Friday, June 19, 2015

What Goes on Vacation?


We got back from vacation a couple of weeks ago.  Over time, I have discovered that vacations are fun and if not totally stress-free, certainly they lack the normal every day stresses I experience at home.

I leave my pager behind.  I don't answer cell phone calls from people I don't want to talk to.  I leave my computer at home.  I sleep in till 5:45 am.

When I am on vacation, I am no longer a doctor, I am just me.

At the same time, there are certain things I don't (can't) take a vacation from.  I am a father and a husband.  I can't, in the middle of hiking to Laurel Falls, decide I am going to leave my kids to figure things out on their own.  Even as we are leaving for Cade's Cove, I need to remember to let my wife know that I love her.

Being a dad is awesome, but it does involve a lot of responsibility.

More importantly, I do not take a vacation from my relationship with Christ.  I speak with Him and listen to Him every day, just as I would at home.

It seems to me that the things that are truly a part of who you are will never be left behind when you leave your home.  They are qualities and actions that you demonstrate wherever you are and whoever you might be with.

Whether I am in the Smokies, or in Paoli, or at the Shaker Village in Kentucky, my goals are the same.  I would be a good dad, a loving husband, and most of all, I would please my Savior, Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment