Search This Blog

Friday, September 26, 2014

A Three Year Old's Sense of Time


I was taking Elliot to the bathroom.  He apparently had other things on his busy schedule and didn't want any part of it.

"Just sit for a little while," I told him, encouragingly.

"I don't need to poop, Dad," he said emphatically.

"No?"

"No, Dad," he said.  "I pooped last year!"

Now, Elliot is correct in his statement, although whether or not he remembers the particular event is debatable.  Even more debatable is whether or not he has any concept of how long a year is or, when last year actually was.

As I look at his three year old sense of time, I think about how much different my sense of time is from his.  Yet, even though I know when next week is and when last week was, I am far removed from God's perception of time.

I think of this, in particular, concerning God fulfilling his promises.  "But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day.  The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance."  (II Peter 3:8,9)

If God promises us something, He will fulfill it -- in His perfect time and way.  It is just that I usually don't perceive time the way He does.

There are time that I wish God would hurry up a little, but I never need to worry.  For, whether it is last year, this year, or next year, God will be right where He always is -- right on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment