“It sure is hazy,” I said. “If anything, it is worse than it is back
home.” The sun floated like an eerie
orb, decorating a haze filled sky.
“I guess it’s the forest fires
up in Canada,” Elaine said. “I heard
that some lawmakers from Michigan sent a letter to Canada telling them to stop
the fires up there so that there was less smoke in Michigan.”
I laughed. “That’s silly,” I said. “I’m sure they are doing what they can, but a
lot of Canadian forests aren’t really accessible by road and if you have to fly
hundreds of miles to reach them, that will limit how much you can do to halt
them as well. It’s probably better just
to pray for rain.”
We were driving and when we
stopped at a gas station and got out, we discovered that the haze wasn’t simply
in the atmosphere. The air smelled
strongly of smoke and would irritate your throat after just a little while of
breathing it.
I have read many times the idea
of Chaos theory and the difficulty of predicting the effect of tiny things on
large systems. A butterfly flaps its
wings in North America and somehow this triggers a cascade of events that leads
to a typhoon in the South Pacific.
Conceptually, this makes sense
to me, but my feeling is that most of the time, the correlation is a lot
clearer. Forest fires in Canada lead to
a smoky atmosphere in northern Virginia.
The Apostle Paul wrote about
the challenge of food offered to idols in I Corinthians 8. In this passage, he spent very little time
talking about whether or not it was sinful to eat this meat, focusing rather on
the question of how eating such food would affect our brothers and sisters
within the church.
The point clearly is that our
actions affect others walk with God. In
an individualistic society it is easy to ignore this. Many people believe that they should be able
to do whatever they want and the people around them will just have to deal with
it.
None of us lives in a vacuum. We live in community. We live with family. The way we live our lives affects all of these
people and – even if we don’t intend it to affect them.
Even more challenging is the
fact that our children will reap what we sow. Whatever short comings we have in our lives
will crop up in their lives to a higher degree.
Just as the smoke from forest
fires in Canada doesn’t stay in Canada, but drifts as far south as Virginia, so
too, our actions will touch and help (or harm) the lives of those around
us. Let them experience deeds of
kindness and love that will encourage them to lives of faithfulness, not a mixture
of anger and bitterness that block the sun and lead them to live with
discouragement.

No comments:
Post a Comment