Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2022

Random Cookies


 

"I made cookies today," my beautiful wife told me as I arrived home.

This, is not so unusual as it is in the homes of people much more rich and famous.  For, when bank accounts soar, cookies vanish in favor of more expensive delectable, treats -- or at least, that is what I have heard.

"She made Random Cookies!"  Vincent put in sharply.

"Call them Miscellaneous Cookies," Elaine said.  "I had lots of toppings left from our ice cream sundae thing we did and so I put them in the cookies.  There was some heath bar topping and white chocolate chips and some regular chocolate chips that went into the cookie dough."

"It sounds yummy," I said.

"Oh, they are.  Vincent won't try them, though.  He says he is certain they aren't as good as Chocolate Chip Cookies."

"They aren't," Vincent said firmly.

I decided to sample one of the delicious treats that my wife had baked.  It was true that they weren't the same as Chocolate Chip Cookies, but they were still Plain Good!  I decided to eat a second one to be certain that they were really All That.  Yes, they were so good that I probably needed to try a third one, but I decided against it.  Best not to spoil my supper...

My children are odd when it comes to new foods.  There are many times that they will not try something new, even though it is something that they would probably enjoy greatly.

It isn't as though Elaine is serving our children food with bits of glass and rock embedded in it.  Nor is she barbecuing road kill.  Even though their experiences of receiving food in our house has been good, our children are still trepidatious when it comes to anything new.

It seems to me that many times I have trouble receiving the blessings my Heavenly Father sends my way.  Quite simply I do not perceive them as blessings.

While they are good an perfect gifts, I see them as not quite good enough.  Perhaps this has to do with my preconceived notions on what a blessing looks like -- just a little like my children view Miscellaneous Cookies.

1 comment: